The Friends of the Allen Public Library is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization, dedicated to supporting the Allen Public Library by providing funds and programs that would not otherwise be possible.
Please join us!
ALLen Reads has completed its 10th year of providing the community with its wonderful One Book Program. Over the years, the Allen community has benefited from reading some great books with an opportunity to meet fabulous authors, had thought-provoking discussions and attended a variety of local programs!
Our one book program is under the leadership of the Friends of the Allen Public Library. It is unique in one-book programs in that related books are chosen as “companions” to the main book to promote families and all generations reading and talking together.
ALLen Reads 2018
Join us for our first ALLen Reads program, Celebrating Differences, on October 4th at 6:00 PM
Bach to Books
Bach to Books is a free arts program for the community, sponsored by The Friends of the Allen Public Library.
The main goal of Bach to Books is to share a variety of programs featuring music, dance, visual arts, literature, history and more with the people of our community for their enjoyment and enlightenment. We offer these programs free to the public, so that everybody can attend. Most events are held in the auditorium in the library.
Upcoming Programs include:
- Making of the Legendary American Film, “Giant” / Thursday, September 20th at 7:30 PM
- Black Gospel: Robert F. Darden & The New Jerusalem Baptist Choir / Sunday, September 23rd at 3:00 PM
- The Polio Years in Texas: Battling a Terrifying Unknown / Thursday, September 27th at 7:30 PM
- Orchestra of New Spain and the Convivencia / Friday, September 28th at 7:30 PM
- America’s First Female Astronaut Wally Funk / Saturday, September 29th at 3:00 PM
- ALLen Reads Program: Celebrating Differences / Thursday, October 4th at 6:00 PM
- ALLen Reads Program: Symphony Instrument Petting Zoo and Concert / Sunday, October 7th at 2:00 PM
- ALLen Reads Program: Tea and Talk at Allen Senior Center / Wednesday, October 10th at 2:00 PM
- The Cloudbuster Nine: The Untold Story of Ted Williams & The Baseball Team that Helped Win
World War II / Thursday, October 11th at 7:30 PM
- ALLen Reads Author, Kimberly Brubaker Bradley / Thursday, October 18th at 6:00 PM
- Be Misson Control: Own Your Dream Career! / Thursday, October 25th at 6:30 PM
- History of White Rock Lake / Thursday, October 25th at 7:30 PM
- “Psycho” / Monday, October 31st at 7:00 PM
Ongoing Book Sale
One of the main sources of funding for Friends of the Allen Public Library is our Ongoing Book Sale. Your donations will go a long way in bringing various entertaining and educational programs for all ages.
Located in the lobby of the library the sale offers used books, magazines, CDs, DVDs, and Audio Books. What better way to stock the bookshelf for the whole family! Take some time to look through and find a good book or two. Encourage your kids to read by having them pick out books they are interested in, all at bargain prices!
Friends accepts donations of gently used books, CDs, DVDs, audio books, craft magazines and current dates on magazines with current events. Your tax-deductible donations can be dropped off at the circulation desk any time or at the dock on the southeast side of the building Mon-Fri 10 AM – 4 PM – ask for a tax receipt.
Want to get involved? Do you want to meet authors? Plan concerts, food demonstrations, and guest speakers? Review books? Write grants? Connect with the community?
All this and more happens when you join the Friends of the Allen Public Library. Call the library at 214-509-4913, leave your contact information, and someone from the Friends will contact you. Or you can do it via email at email@example.com. We offer special projects, committees, opportunities to meet authors/illustrators/musicians, and much more!” We hope to hear from you— we have a lot of fun planning the events, and the more, the merrier! If you would specifically like to be part of ALLen Reads for 2017 – just contact Anita Moghe at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to have you on the team.
Friends of the Allen Public Library meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7 PM, Allen Public Library Board Room. ALLen Reads meets the second Monday of each month at 7 PM in the Allen Public Library Board Room.