The Friends of the Allen Public Library is an all-volunteer, non-profit organization, dedicated to supporting the Allen Public Library by providing funds and programs that would not otherwise be possible.
Please join us!
Our one book program is under the leadership of the Friends of the Allen Public Library. It is unique in one-book programs in that related books are chosen as “companions” to the main book to promote families and all generations reading and talking together.
The ALLen READS book for 2019 is The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind by William Kamkwamba and Bryan Mealer. Join us on October 19th when journalist Bryan Mealer shares his account of helping to bring William’s story to life.
ALLen READS programs include:
- Recycled Art Windmills / Monday, September 30th at 4:45 PM; recommended for grades K – 3
- Concerts for Young Audiences / Sunday, October 6th at 3:00 PM
- ALLen READS Community Book Discussion / Wednesday, October 9th at 7:00 PM
- ALLen READS presents award-winning author Bryan Mealer / Saturday, October 19th at 2:00 PM
- Allen Library Endowment Fund’s Annual Chocolate and Wine Fundraiser, with special guest Bryan Mealer / Saturday October 19th at 6:30 PM
- Movie Night at the Allen Public Library: The Boy Who Harnessed the Wind / Tuesday, October 22nd at 7:00 PM
Bach to Books
Bach to Books is a free arts program for the community, sponsored by The Friends of the Allen Public Library.
The main goal of Bach to Books is to share a variety of programs featuring music, dance, visual arts, literature, history and more with the people of our community for their enjoyment and enlightenment. We offer these programs free to the public, so that everybody can attend. Most events are held in the auditorium in the library.
Upcoming Programs include:
- Elizabeth Bacon Custer / Thursday, September 12th at 7:30 PM
- Shake Anderson / Friday, September 13th at 7:30 PM
- Mayan Grupo Pakal / Sunday, September 15th at 3:00 PM
- Television’s Bobbie Wygant / Thursday, September 19th at 7:30 PM
- Allen Folk Festival / Friday, September 27th at 7:30 PM
- Another Year Finds Me in Texas: The Civil War Diary of Lucy Pier Stevens / Thursday, October 10th at 7:30 PM
- Los Aztex / Friday, October 11th at 7:30 PM
- T-Bone Whacks & Caviar Snacks: Cooking with Two Texans in Siberia and Russian Far East / Thursday, October 17th at 7:30 PM
- Dallas Hua Yun Chinese Orchestra / Friday, October 18th at 7:30 PM
- ALLen READS presents award-winning author, Bryan Mealer / Saturday, October 19th at 2:00 PM
- “When Spirits Sat for the Camera” / Thursday, October 31st at 7:30 PM
Ongoing Book Sale
One of the main sources of funding for Friends of the Allen Public Library is our Ongoing Book Sale. Your donations will go a long way in bringing various entertaining and educational programs for all ages.
Friends of the Allen Public Library is hosting a Special Back-to-School Book Sale
Starting Friday, August 30, 31; (closed Sunday and Monday); then Tuesday, September 2 through Friday, September 6 in the1st Floor Meeting Room, during Library business hours
You never know what you might find, from cookbooks to woodworking and everything in between! Thank you for supporting the Friends!
Friends accepts donations of gently used books, CDs, DVDs, audio books, craft magazines and current dates on magazines with current events. Your tax-deductible donations can be dropped off at the circulation desk any time or at the dock on the southeast side of the building Mon-Fri 10 AM – 4 PM – ask for a tax receipt.
Want to get involved? Do you want to meet authors? Plan concerts, food demonstrations, and guest speakers? Review books? Write grants? Connect with the community?
All this and more happens when you join the Friends of the Allen Public Library. Call the library at 214-509-4913, leave your contact information, and someone from the Friends will contact you. Or you can do it via email at email@example.com. We offer special projects, committees, opportunities to meet authors/illustrators/musicians, and much more!” We hope to hear from you— we have a lot of fun planning the events, and the more, the merrier! If you would specifically like to be part of ALLen Reads for 2017 – just contact Anita Moghe at firstname.lastname@example.org. We’d love to have you on the team.
Friends of the Allen Public Library meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7 PM, Allen Public Library Board Room. ALLen Reads meets the second Monday of each month at 7 PM in the Allen Public Library Board Room.
The Friends of the Allen Public Library is a member organization in the Allen Arts Alliance.