ALLen Reads is a one-book program under the leadership of the Friends of the Allen Public Library. It is unique in one-book programs in that related books are chosen as “companions” to the main book to promote families and all generations reading and talking together.
For more than a decade, ALLen Reads has encouraged reading in the community with its One Book Program. Over the years, the Allen community has benefited from reading some great books with an opportunity to meet fabulous authors, had thought-provoking discussions and attended a variety of local programs!
The Friends coordinate this annual community project in which a book is chosen for the whole community to read and discuss. Activities often include book discussion groups, an author visit, a movie, a play, and other guest speakers. The library, AISD, and all of Allen’s civic groups and community organizations support this effort!
Join us! Friends of the Allen Public Library meets the third Wednesday of each month at 7 PM, Allen Public Library Board Room.
ALLen Reads meets the second Monday of each month at 7 PM in the Allen Public Library Board Room.
ALLen Reads is designed to:
- stimulate interest in the pleasure and importance of reading
- engage the residents of our community as we come together – in schools, families, book groups, civic organizations and more – to discuss the book and the issues it raises
- encourage reading at all ages
- include everyone, especially those new to the country or community
- bring the community together through shared activities and experiences
For more information call (214) 509-4911, or email email@example.com.
ALLen Reads 2017: A Decade of Reading Together